There are only 5 days until the marathon!!!!!! I haven’t been thinking about it or obsessing even half as much as I was last time (yet), but I’m definitely nervous. I’m mostly nervous about that last painful hour of the marathon. I’m pretty sure the last 6 miles of the last marathon was one of the worst hours of my life, but I’ve somehow managed to semi-forget how bad it sucked. I’m hoping maybe I can make it one more mile until that feeling hits this time? Haha, not very ambitious thinking… but anything less painful than last time would be appreciated.
My knees have been ok, although I’m sure I’ll have to do more walking during the beginning of this marathon than I did last time. Maybe that’ll help me pace myself better… who knows. And my hip has been hurting, but I don’t think walking makes it hurt any less than running, so I might just have to do my best to ignore the pain.
When I first started my training for the Chicago marathon, I was completely set on beating my time from the last marathon. As training went on, my knee pain came back and I was forced to miss a couple of my longer runs, including the 18 mile run. I completely gave up on all goals for the marathon other than just finishing. I finally realized that taking walk breaks is ok and it really helped me get through the end of my training- even the 20 mile run! Now I feel like I might be in a similar position to what I was in before the last marathon. And with that, my new goal for this marathon is to finish in under 5 hours again. I wouldn’t be completely disappointed if I don’t make that goal (hopefully), since finishing in 4 hours, 58 minutes, and 51 seconds last time nearly killed me (I’m pretty sure I’m joking).
I was dreading this marathon for so long because of my knee pain, but now all of a sudden I’m not dreading it anymore! I mean, I’m really nervous and dreading the last hour, but all in all I think I might actually be looking forward to it. Seeing other people finish the Chicago marathon last year was so inspirational and it was right after that that I decided I would run it in 2011. When I made that decision, it was all I could think about for months. The fact that it’s already here is kind of crazy. The farthest I had ever run at that point was 8 miles, and the farthest race I had ever done was a 5k. Little did I know that I would end up switching my April half marathon to a full marathon and complete my goal of running a marathon a lot sooner than planned! The fact that I’m running another one kind of blows my mind.
Last year I weighed 175 lbs, was in terrible shape, and had never even considered running a marathon, or thought it would ever be possible… and now I’m about to run my second marathon. When I think about how far I’ve come, how I felt last year during the marathon, and how badly I wished I was running it, it really makes me look forward to running it this weekend. Marathon posts later in the week will either be a lot more excited or a lot more nervous sounding… or most likely both. Stay tuned :)
44 Notes/ Hide
- ceebeedoeslife likes this
- mich-l likes this
- verycunninglinguist likes this
- thefameofhealthandfitness likes this
- laraerunning likes this
- honeybadgerrunner likes this
- eatingelephants likes this
- 3quartersalice likes this
- karengetsgoing said: Good luck! I’ll be thinking about you on race day. I’m sure you’re going to do extremely well and have a lots of fun. I can’t wait for your on-the-course posts. Those were awesome!
- karengetsgoing likes this
- sayhellotocindy likes this
- samishealthy likes this
- msnetworknews likes this
- shortmom likes this
- neon-spandex likes this
- alltheplacesidreamof said: I’m proud of you, but I’m pretty sure you’re still crazy for running marathons. Love you! Can’t wait to see you Friday!!! =]
- mandyisdandy likes this
- beckyc likes this
- thisfearlesslife likes this
- kaizen14 likes this
- timnl said: Good luck! I’m going to run a half on Sunday.
- livingformeandmimi likes this
- thetikistyle likes this
- l-8-10 said: You are going to do GREAT. I can’t wait to hear a race recap. We will all be rooting for you - even if it’s not on the sidelines in Chicago.
- tribander likes this
- easybeinggreene likes this
- runtoslim likes this
- l-8-10 likes this
- steelmangoes likes this
- countdowntooz said: Good luck lovely girl!
- sasstacular likes this
- kristysfoodandfitness posted this